Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Calvert County Fair | Southern Maryland Photographer

Early Saturday morning we went to the county fair. We got there at 9am so the rides weren't running yet. So we decided to check out the critters first. Every year my kids beg to bring home a bunny. And if it weren't for the 2 dogs and cat we have I may have been sold on these cute little guys. They were cuddled up even with a cage between them (it was cold in there). But I love how fluffy they are!


And for reasons I don't know my kids love looking at the turkeys. This guy was posing for me. I got quite a few shots of him. He would walk right up to me and strike a pose. Which I loved because I was shooting one handed, had coffee in the other hand. Hey it was early and as bad as that fair coffee was I needed it more than I needed a great shot of a turkey. But I managed to do both so it's all good. I almost want to hang a BIG print of this on my stripped wall...almost. And for those of you who like history, did you know that Benjamin Franklin did not want the bald eagle as our national bird. He wanted the turkey. You can read why in an excerpt of a letter to his daughter here. And while I like the look of the bald eagle, he had good points in his reasoning.

This big ole' pig didn't care about anything but gnawing on a piece of rope. But I thought he was cute. And he was the only one in that area not sleeping.

This just looked like fun. All 3 of my girls were upside down every time that thing got around to where I could see them.
I know this one is out of focus and I normally wouldn't share because of that. But I heard one of my favorite photographers say last week that focus is overrated. So let's just go with that lol.
Every year my oldest girl wins a goldfish at the fair. Well the first one she won a few years ago recently died. His name was "County Fair Fred". She kept him in a tank at her Dad's house. The goldfish she won last year got to stay at my house her name is "County Fair Freida". And I have a pretty big tank, so CF Freida is huge. And she is no longer "gold" she is white with gold on her mouth like she's wearing orange lipstick. Well we put "County Fair Fred Jr." in a bowl on the counter till she could take him to her Dad's. And our cat thought.....SUSHI!!! She played with him for a while and gave up. Fred was not going to come to the surface as long as she was there.